The Basic Responsibilities of this Nonprofit Board is to determine and sustain an organization’s mission and purpose. The board is responsible for creating and reviewing the organization’s goals, means, and primary constituents served.
- Have an interest in the organization’s mission
- Attend board and committee meetings as required
- Contribute knowledge, ideas, and time
- Advocate for the organization
- Develop and participate in fundraising strategies
- Provide financial oversight
- Strengthen programs and services
- Maintain the organization’s legal and ethical integrity
- Responsive and alert to community perceptions’ of organization
- Recruit and orient new board members
Board members should accept their positions with the full understanding that being a board member requires a time commitment. Prior to accepting a position as a board member, a candidate should review the schedules to make sure there are no conflicts. Board meetings are held virtually on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 9:00 PM. When feasible, official business may be conducted via email for convenience.
Once a board member has been nominated and appointed, he/she should carve out enough time in his/her schedule before meetings to review materials and prepare for the board and any committee meetings. After reviewing materials, he/she should ask questions about the upcoming agenda so that he can be an informed contributor to the meeting. Board members should take responsibility for accepting tasks and follow through on given assignments.