We recently visited Hershey, PA and stayed at the La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Harrisburg Airport Hershey just a few miles away. We decided to stay a couple of nights to get the most out of our visits to Hershey’s Chocolate World and Hersheypark. Check out the article covering the pros and cons of staying overnight for Hershey and Hershey Park.
Our hotel was actually in Harrisburg, 10 miles west of the Hershey attractions. The hotel rates were more reasonable in this area, yet only a short drive away. The hotel is across the street from a shopping plaza with a Target and a few chain restaurants. The Harrisburg Mall is two miles away.
When we arrived at our rooms, we were welcomed with Hershey’s candy and a welcome note from the staff. We got a room with two double beds. It was a clean room, but it was smaller than ideal for the four of us (couple with 5 & 6-year-olds).
Each morning we got a free breakfast adjacent to the lobby. The lady working the breakfast was very personable. She was nice and talked to everyone that came down. The food was nothing special, but good enough to grab a bite before heading out for the day. For hot food, they offered sausage and eggs that looked to be thawed out in bulk and self-made Belgian waffles (plain and blueberry batter).
- Location: close proximity to last-minute shopping, restaurants, and Hershey attractions
- Price: Low cost, no-frills place to crash after a long day at the park
- Staff: Friendly people working at the front desk and breakfast
- Perks: Free coffee and water station in the lobby 24/7; free breakfast
- Short Staffed: sole front desk worker seems to run every task when we need something
- Untidy Common Areas: The entry hallway, elevator were not kept clean
- Small Room: would highly recommend getting a suite, worth the upgrade for families
If you get a good deal this is the type of place to seek out for a no-frills place to save you from driving home. I would recommend price hunting any hotels with suites along Eisenhower Boulevard in Harrisburg.
Disclaimer: Wyndham Hotels & Resorts hosted my family for two nights at La Quinta in exchange for our opinion being shared on the Howard County Dads blog.